Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pumpkin Chili- Fall in a bowl!

Much to my husband's dismay I think, chili is one of my absolute favorite meals. I was trying to think of what I could make this year using pumpkin (another one of my favorite things that my husband isn't a fan of) and thought, "I bet someone somewhere made a recipe for pumpkin chili" and I was right!

I absolutely LOVED this! In true Sarah fashion, I did make some adjustments to the recipe based on my own personal taste preferences. One I would do differently next time would be to add more pumpkin- either pureed or cube some up and add to the veggie mixture. While you could certainly TASTE the pumpkin, I didn't think that it was nearly pumpkin-y enough! I'm not sure an entire second can would be needed, but a little more wouldn't hurt. I also added chicken broth- because it didn't seem liquid-y enough (and for a little more flavor)- and nutmeg- because I think nutmeg and pumpkin go so well together.

Pumpkin Chili

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped 
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped (Note: I used both whole peppers, because who needs a half pepper?)
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
2 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with jalepenos (Note: I used Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted tomatoes with green chiles)
1 14.5oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (Note: I did NOT drain these before adding them)
1 14.5oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen corn (Note: I used AT LEAST a cup.)
2 cups (1 14.5 ounce can) pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
cayenne pepper to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Things I added:

Nutmeg to taste
Approx. 2 cups chicken broth




For serving:
fresh cilantro 
shredded Cheddar cheese 
sour cream 

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes.
When done, transfer mixture to a slow cooker. (Note: I didn't do this. I just cut up all the veggies and added them to the crock pot. Because really why saute them when you are going to put them in a crockpot for 4+ hours.)

In the same skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When oil starts to shimmer, crumble in ground turkey, and brown, about 10 minutes. When done, transfer mixture into slow cooker. 

Add the tomatoes, beans, pumpkin, and corn. Season with chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt, and cayenne. (and nutmeg if you want)

Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours. 

To serve, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, shredded cheese and sour cream, all to your tastes. (I thought the fresh cilantro was a GREAT finisher!)


I think this will make for a fantastic lunch today! :o) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment